Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Things of epic proportions

We visited the Tower of London today. While Westminster Abbey may be my personal favorite site in London,  I would say if you are going to London and can only visit one place, visit the Tower, and make sure you have plenty of time for it. There is so much history in one small spot, and so many different kinds of history as well.
I made a point to scamper to the Crown Jewels and the White Tower, which is where the Armoury exhibit is. When my family visited last year, these were the areas my sister and I were zippy-zooing through at the very last minutes. It was nice to actually take time and look at them.



 This time, instead of pretending to be a Roman goddess or Florentine artist, I imagined being Queen Elizabeth I, or Lady Jane Grey, locked in the Tower with no certainty to my future. It was quite dramatic.




After the tower, we visited St. Paul's Cathedral. It was very similar to many of the other cathedrals we have seen, only it takes an Anglican spin on things. Which really isn't much different from the Catholic spin on buildings, but it does have a bit of a different feel. Chris and Carson and I climbed up to the Whispering Gallery, and then on to the two upper levels that look out at London. It is a stunning view.
We logged about 500 stairs, give or take a few. Yeeeeaaaahhhhh, buddy.



This evening, we went to see War Horse at the New London Theatre. It was utterly phenomenal. Go see it. Now.
The technical aspects were spectacular, and very cinematic. The acting was also great.
Sarah and I stagedoored the actors afterward. It was a little awkward, because none of the actors was really high-profile, so there wasn't a crowd. We did manage to catch one of the puppeteers as well as the actor who played the lead. We had a good few minute chat with him about acting and acting schools and the show.






Also, I had a person (a Brit, mind you) come up to me in the Tube today asking if cell phones worked down there. I had to mumble about not knowing but I didn't think so sorry and he went on his way. BUT I LOOKED LIKE A LONDONER! yaaaaay
I wore my black tights today; that must have been it.